Sunday, June 11, 2006

a whole new world...

But, I'm not on a magic carpet ride. I'm watching the World Cup. It's amazing what happens when someone explains the, all of, 5 rules or so of this game. Now, with the mysteries dispeled, I have become addicted. Soccer -- subversive, subjective, aggressive, fast-paced, creative, and gorgeus -- is actually a sport I enjoy watching. And as a Houstonian who didn't even bother watching the Astros in the World Series, I think this is a big step.
Here's the thing though: If all sport were this pretty, perhaps I would have paid attention all these years. And by pretty, I don't just refer to the talent. (Though soccer men do take ... the entire cake.) I mean that the gory enthusiasm with which Mexico creamed Iran today (3-1) left me screaming, despite the fact that I was quite alone, in my bedroom, still in my workout clothes.

2 Comments:

Blogger asterisk said...

good for you, yojerous! Boy, a most rabid soccer fan, will give you a BIG hug for coming to this realization :)

and on the subject of soccer boys, check out Pat Onstadt (sp?), the goalkeeper for your Houston Dynamo (formerly San Jose Quakes). He's a little on the old side, but my goodness.

8:58 PM  
Blogger asterisk said...

oh, and Dwayne De Rosario, especially if you like the crazy hair.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home